Calm. We all need a little help at times getting there.
I’ve been ‘test driving’ a fabulous App called, surprise, surprise…Calm.
The Calm App
It has everything from calming music, guided meditations (of varying lengths and types – you choose), soothing bed time stories, film clips of raining falling through leaves or logs burning on fire (complete with sound effects), to Masterclass talks from psychologists on subjects ranging from building self-esteem to breaking bad habits.
There is a big focus on sleep, and appropriately so – this is an App designed to improve mental health and wellbeing. We know that sleep deprivation can result in changes to our thoughts and moods that are similar to the experience of depression and anxiety.1
People who don’t get enough sleep describe irritability, poor emotional resilience, depressed mood, low energy and decreased libido.
Yep, that’s right folks…sleep is important for libido!
Long term effects of sleep deprivation range from increased incidence of:
- heart disease,
- work place accidents and errors,
- suppression of the immune system,
- weight gain,
- changes to appetite and metabolism and even
- kidney disease.
So how much sleep do we need?
It changes over time and varies from person to person. If you feel refreshed in the morning and able to get through the day without wistfully longing to go back to bed, you are probably getting enough sleep.
Another way to check how much sleep you need is to see how long you sleep if you let yourself wake up spontaneously.
So, go to bed. Close your eyes. Inhale, exhale and get some sleep.
You’ll feel better. And you might find your long lost libido…
If you would like more information on a decreased or loss of libido and wish to discuss your concerns with an expert, make an appointment to see Dr Tonia Mezzini today.
Dr Tonia Mezzini is known for offering the best possible advice and treatment options for a person’s sexual health care needs. In particular, she cares for patients with:
- Menopause and hormonal concerns
- Chronic pelvic pain in men and women
- Painful periods and endometriosis
- Vulval pain syndromes and vulval skin conditions
- Low libido and pain with intercourse
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Gender-affirming hormone therapy
- Complex contraceptive choices
- Sexually transmitted infections such as recurrent genital herpes
- Recurrent bacterial vaginosis
- Recurrent thrush
- Information about sexual health
1) Pires GN, Bezerra AG, Tufik S, Andersen ML. Effects of acute sleep deprivation on state anxiety levels: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med 2016; 24:109.